Friday, February 3, 2012

Head First

I've decided that I am going to learn how to sew - more specifically, I'm going to learn how to quilt.  It took me a week to be able to buy anything more than fabric - I was paralyzed every time I went into a craft store.  Shopping and Crafting are both in my bones, and have NEVER intimidated me.  It was a feeling I was not used to.  I'm also a person who likes to jump in and do things - so this quilting business was cramping my style - I had to slow down, read, and try to learn what to do.  

 I've still only quickly read what is essential and what I need to do - I am who I am.  This weekend I'm on call, which means I need to stay close to home - so I thought it would be a good project weekend.  Knowing I can't start sewing away a quilt the way I want to (I haven't even tried to use my sewing machine yet) - so I went and bought a pattern for an owl quilt I saw online.  I figured I could at least start cutting the applique's.  These are the beginnings of an owl quilt designed by Amy Bradley (The Hoots Pattern).  I found someone had taken this pattern and made it a little more adult - which is my aspiration.  (Adapted). 
I'm also still enjoying my Unity Stamp Company Stamp of the Week.  Here's my 2nd project with the 2nd stamp of the week.  I have weeks 3 and 4, and hope to show you 4 cards by the end of the weekend.  I'm also hopeful to get to know my sewing machine - by making some 2 sided cloth napkins.  I bought my first 2 yards of fabric today - it's a big step.

 

It is important that students bring a certain ragamuffin, barefoot irreverence to their studies; they are not here to worship what is known, but to question it.  ~Jacob Bronowski

No comments:

Post a Comment